MOJO to host 99-hour broadcast-a-thon for Toys for Tots | Community Spirit
Rock 99.5’s morning radio host “Mojo” will host the ironically named “Bikes or Bust,” a 99-hour broadcast-a-thon in Hoover starting Thursday afternoon.
In an effort to encourage listeners to donate new bicycles to the Marine’s Toys for Tots holiday gift program, the DJ will broadcast for 99-hours straight from a booth suspended 40 feet in the air—literally.
In a small radio booth that will be outside Academy Sports and Outdoors on Highway 150 in Hoover, Mojo will have only his broadcast equipment, a cot to sleep on and a port-o-potty.
For the past seven years while the radio show was based in Huntsville, Mojo’s marathon broadcast has helped to raise more than 10,000 bicycles for Toys for Tots.
Starting Thursday at 3 p.m. through Monday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m., new bike donations will be accepted at the store. Unassembled bicycles are welcome, as Marines and Rock 99 staff will be on hand to put them together.
If you are unable to buy a bicycle to drop off, tax-free monetary donations will be accepted and used to purchase new bikes.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Homewood police nab suspects in jogging trail car burglaries
- The Birmingham Zoo works hard to keep animals toasty on cold nights
- Homewood city leaders discuss Mecca Avenue safety concerns
- Mountain Brook mayor shares memories of protecting the Kennedy family
- Our Lady of Sorrows gathers supplies for typhoon victims
- Son of former Tuscaloosa Co. sheriff among deputies indicted in L.A. County
- West Ala. group awarded $3M to help residents pay for heating bills
- Editorial cartoon printed in Univ. of Alabama student newspaper stirs controversy
- Operation Toy Drop donations will arrive by ground this year
- Tuscaloosa expects 50,000 fans during Super 6